Most of the time it happens that when one wants to install for a latest or new version in that of the macOS. What generally people do is, they install it over the old version. By doing this their apps and data do not get lost but in this way along with that of the data, the junk files stay as well.
Therefore, it is much better to go for the clean install. It is also better because if you are planning to pass on your Mac to someone else then your data may remain in that.
Hence, if you go for a clean install, you can manage all your important data, could take backups, or move them to cloud storage and the Mac would get clean without any junk files. Now Let’s check out how one can clean install macOS.
How To Prepare Mac For a Clean Install
To endure the procedure if clean install, check out what you require:
- macOS High Sierra installer, from that of Mac App Store.
- USB flash drive which should be of at least 16 GB or above.
- Backup your data else opt for system cleanup.
How One Can Clean Install MacOS On That of The Startup Drive
Once you have furnished with the entire things that are been required. Let’s get started. The users are not required to go in particular to download the apps that are required, instead, it is available in the Stapp. In this, the full version of any application is available. To start with, firstly clean main drive of Mac, but before heading, take a backup. Don’t back up the files that you don’t require so that proper cleaning would be catered. With CleanMyMac app, the user can speedily clean its mac rather than manually picking up each file, if it desires so. With the help of the ‘Gemini app’, one can easily identify the duplicate files and can clear them to save storage space. With the ‘Get Backup Pro’ app, creating backup becomes easy. The cloned files containing the images and the documents are moved to the cloud or to the external drive, considering the safety point of view.
- Create a bootable macOS installer
- First of all, from the App store, download the macOS high Sierra.
- Once it’s done, installer launches. As it gets finished, opt ‘file’ and quit, therefore it won’t get installed. You will notice that in your applications folder, the installer is present.
- Next, plug USB stick.
- Then launch Disk utilities.
- Now hit ‘erase’ tab and ensure that the Mac OS extended is been opted in format tab.
- Provide a name to the USB stick and hit ‘erase’.
- When it’s over, hit ‘done’.
- Now close ‘Disk utility’.
- Next, launch the terminal.
- Now type sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ command.
- Now click ‘return’.
- Input admin password.
- Once the process is over, ‘Done’ will appear on the window.
- Now you can simply quit the terminal.
Install macOS on that of your startup disk drive before you head to erase Mac’s startup drive, ensure that you back up all the files.
For Erasing Mac’s Startup Drive :
- First of all, navigate to system preferences.
- Then hit startup disk and opt for the created installer.
- Now simply restart your Mac. For booting into the recovery mode, hold command -R.
- Now connect bootable USB to Mac.
If macOS utility screen displays, then go through these steps :
- Opt Reinstall.
- Then click continue.
- Again click continue to the next window.
- Tick on ‘Agree on the terms and conditions’ and opt Mac’s internal Drive.
- Hit ‘install’.
- Now, wait for a while so that macOS High Sierra gets installed and your Mac could restart again.
The Bottom Line
The article describes the overall essence of the necessity of a clean install. Hope the content must be useful to you. Although, we have tried our best to deliver the most facile way of achieving the above-discussed endeavor. If you face any issues, kindly let us know in the comment section.
Hey! I’m David Perry, 24, American national. Studied software development due to my gusto for technology. Started this blog for writing on the latest tech, Newest App stores, Android, iOS, Windows, & related topics.